KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haven't tried Duke's, is this worth the investment? Kind of a Kewpie slut tbh
Duke’s is very good. Kewpie edges it.

1714968213491.jpeg

Had a nice surprise on Sunday when my hot water heater decided it was done. I noticed a little bit of water on the floor under it on Saturday. I just happened to be in the mechanical room on Sunday when...BOOM...catastrophic failure. 75 gallons of hot water started emptying on the floor at about a liter a minute. Incredible luck I was in the room when it happened, the water never got more than a few feet from the tank.

Now I'm the proud owner of a fancy new tankless water heater. Unexpected $5,000 hit will certainly help me stick to my abstinence from knife buying for a good bit though.

Speaking of plumbing I put this thing in during renovation and it has already proven its value by sensing a toilet running that might have gone a week or more without anyone noticing.

https://dropconnect.com/product/drop-home-protection-valve/

Recommended.

Drop Connect Home Protection Valve

But where's the failsafe device to protect against a failing protection valve?
This smells like another deep rabbit hole...

Haven't tried Duke's, is this worth the investment? Kind of a Kewpie slut tbh

Despite their marketing slogan, Dukes is actually more creamy and less tangy than Helmans. It's preferred if you're baking with it or doing something where you want creaminess without that "mayonnaise" flavor.

I've done some side by sides and Blue Plate is definitely my favorite. Based out of Louisiana and may not be available nationwide but 100% worth a grab if you find it. It's got some nice tang but not too much to kill its versatility. Sponsor of New Orleans Poboy Festival for a damn fine reason, and has the best logo.

1000040353.jpg

Flitz vs BKF? Same thing? Different uses?

I want to remove patina without worrying about scratches and I feel like my BKF powder isn’t the best for it.

If flitz is the way to go, which product do you use?

BKF is Oxalic acid, helps getting rid of Patina. Careful with KU finishes. Also if you let it sit on the blade too long it gets quite reactive.

Flitz is a polishing paste. Will polish the blade slightly but for stubborn patina often times works better, no deep scratches or so. Not the best for Kasumi Finishes. If you did let BKF sit on the blade and try to get rid of the aftermath definitely helps.

I want to remove patina without worrying about scratches and I feel like my BKF powder isn’t the best for it.

Flitz is good. Simichrome is also good. I would say Simichrome is faster, but it leaves a coating on the metal and slightly inhibits the next patina build up.

Last edited:
BKF is Oxalic acid, helps getting rid of Patina. Careful with KU finishes. Also if you let it sit on the blade too long it gets quite reactive.

Flitz is a polishing paste. Will polish the blade slightly but for stubborn patina often times works better, no deep scratches or so. Not the best for Kasumi Finishes. If you did let BKF sit on the blade and try to get rid of the aftermath definitely helps.
So BKF then flitz? Both with a soft sponge?

Usually don’t mind patina but I’d like to take it off the Kipp and catcheside I just got lol

I've been using this with good luck to gently remove patina. I put a dab on a fingertip of nitrile glove for easy stuff, or use wine cork to get scrubby if it's a rust spot that leaves a deeper oxidation/patina/discoloration stain underneath.

https://knivesandstones.us/products/koyo-sunlite-polishing-paste-blue-for-steel-100g-koyo-sha

Latest posts

Back