Gardening thread of 2021

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup! He had a restock recently, I emailed him about them after missing the large sizes, he had one he was holding for a local customer. She ended up never showing up to buy it so I grabbed it. I look forward to eventually having a garden to use it 😅

It’s beautifully made, definitely a grail trowel (unless someone’s making feather Damascus ones)
I saw those on his website--so nicely made. Enjoy the gardening!

We’ve been eating a lot of squash, cucumbers, and peppers from the garden, but the first red tomatoes of the year have arrived, and has custom dictates, tonight is BLTs
Upside down it appears

Attachments

• IMG_2026.jpeg
    IMG_2026.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
The first BLTs of the year are so good, savor the flavor. My tomatoes are posted on gardens of 2023 thread.

The garden thread of 2021 is still growing in 2023? Cool!

Finally getting a hard frost here tonight. I went and got the rest of the pumpkins/winter squash in from the garden, finished after dark- Crazy productive year for these. Way more than I can use, I'm giving many of these away. (I'm near Minneapolis/St. Paul, ask if these look tasty).

3 kinds of pumpkins (mainly decorative/jack-o'-lantern varieties). Big Max, Justify, Secretariat.

4 kinds of long keeping heirloom winter squash. Sibley, Lower Salmon River, Marina di Chioggia and Uncle Dave's Dakota Dessert Squash. All seeds were from FEDCO, the only ones I'd grown before were the Uncle Dave's squash (very good!) and the Big Max pumpkins (very large).

https://fedcoseeds.com/seeds/squash-winter

Attachments

• KIMG0241.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 1
  • KIMG0242.JPG
    13.5 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0224.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0226.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0243.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
The garden thread of 2021 is still growing in 2023? Cool!

Finally getting a hard frost here tonight. I went and got the rest of the pumpkins/winter squash in from the garden, finished after dark- Crazy productive year for these. Way more than I can use, I'm giving many of these away. (I'm near Minneapolis/St. Paul, ask if these look tasty).

3 kinds of pumpkins (mainly decorative/jack-o'-lantern varieties). Big Max, Justify, Secretariat.

4 kinds of long keeping heirloom winter squash. Sibley, Lower Salmon River, Marina di Chioggia and Uncle Dave's Dakota Dessert Squash. All seeds were from FEDCO, the only ones I'd grown before were the Uncle Dave's squash (very good!) and the Big Max pumpkins (very large).

https://fedcoseeds.com/seeds/squash-winter
We're flush with hard squash at the moment, but I'll try to keep this in mind for the future.

We're flush with hard squash at the moment, but I'll try to keep this in mind for the future.
I have now tried the "Sibley" and "Lower Salmon River varieties. Both are supposed to continue improving in flavor/sweetness until at least February, some won't bother to cook them until Thanksgiving- And both were orders of magnitude better than anything I've had from a big box grocer or restaurant supplier EVER.

The Sibley squash might even be better than the "Uncle Dave's Dakota Dessert Squash", my previous bench mark for ultimate squishy goodnesses...

Attachments

• KIMG0265~2.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • KIMG0258~2.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I have now tried the "Sibley" and "Lower Salmon River varieties. Both are supposed to continue improving in flavor/sweetness until at least February, some won't bother to cook them until Thanksgiving- And both were orders of magnitude better than anything I've had from a big box grocer or restaurant supplier EVER.

The Sibley squash might even be better than the "Uncle Dave's Dakota Dessert Squash", my previous bench mark for ultimate squishy goodnesses...
Something odd is happening to my image attachments, TEST!

Attachments

• KIMG0265~2.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
Back