Gallery of Past and Current Work

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figured I'd put this here so that @labor of love can get his fix!

Finally got around to overcoming how pretty this thing is and cooking with it.

Looks -> I look at this thing once a day every day and smell and kiss it.... I think that about sums it up.

Comfort -> one of my lightest and biggest knives with a awesome handle from Julian. Is the brass flashy. Yes. Do I care. No. Spine and choil has been smoothed over excellently.

Steel Sharpening -> hard to judge for me because I'm binary with this aspect. Its either good (tf white 1) or bad (cutco / trying to rub a blank blade PM steel on a king 1k... i did it for science). from no edge to edge on SG500 was a blink of an eye. Progressing it to a Morihei 6k edge was very easy, post strop edge will shave my fingernail (and various other tests). I used the more traditional spash and go's here instead of diamond or water because it went up the progression so fast didn't need to many passes. Still working on getting good feel for the venev 400 and i felt on simple carbon i would just eat more steel than i wanted to.

Grind -> I think Matt wrote that he is "happy" with how this turned out. I presume this is a humble understatement. At least for me.. this is the end of sakai lasers for me... its a laser with acceptable food release, silent on food. Cucumber sticks, but I only have a few knives that don't for cucumbers and they all involve a special grind outside the normal concave or convex... This double side grind feels much more even and substantial than his one sided that I have, but still able to slide through a whole cabbage or fennel quietly. Still no sign of patina it seems finish and monosteel is keeping it under control (its not super reactive).

Excuse my **** pics and note the laser hamon!

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...la-gyuto-mizu-honyaki-26c3-255mm-64hrc.71154/

*didn't plan on this post being like a "review" but i think i overwrote.... oh well....

Looks -> I look at this thing once a day every day and smell and kiss it.... I think that about sums it up.
Haha this is the best review a polisher can have! So glad that you like it ☺️

Comfort -> one of my lightest and biggest knives with a awesome handle from Julian. Is the brass flashy. Yes. Do I care. No. Spine and choil has been smoothed over excellently.
It's honestly one of my favourite I ever made. I find that everything complements the blade well and is well balanced.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it's really cool to know that you love your knife and are already using it!

Haha this is the best review a polisher can have! So glad that you like it ☺️

It's honestly one of my favourite I ever made. I find that everything complements the blade well and is well balanced.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it's really cool to know that you love your knife and are already using it!
Awsome polishing job, I don't think i have a honyaki where the hamon looks drawn in with white chalk.

I'm very pleased you enjoy it so much.

I think Matt wrote that he is "happy" with how this turned out. I presume this is a humble understatement.
No, I am just obscenely critical about my hamons, but this one came together nicely. I like that little dip near the heel, it's a nice touch of character.
This double side grind feels much more even and substantial than his one sided that I have,
You have one of my single bevel knives? I've only made 3. Is it the yanagi or one of the deba?

You have one of my single bevel knives? I've only made 3. Is it the yanagi or one of the deba?
Haha no, referencing the righty grind on my nakiri. I did a side by side and the food release is much better the honyaki.

May be the finish or the fact the the nakiri has much more real estate, but the honyaki seems to have dialed in the grind just right. Tested against a tetsujin and a tanaka AS for a sakai convex comparison too. Im not a ranking person and i dont like this is better than that but the grind is excellent even when compared with the stuff out of japan.

Back