Small plate Black Eyed Peas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here you go, a new years tradition...

(in the words of Mies van der Rohe (who apparently stole it from Flaubert), God is in the details on this one)

Get the best dried peas you can. If you're in the US I can't recommend Rancho Gordo highly enough. Soak 2 cups of them in well salted water for about six hours (a cup is good for three people, but you'll want leftovers, they freeze great)

Get out a clay pot, preferably unglazed (this is, in my opinion, a crucial step), add the beans, water to cover by two inches, plentiful salt, 2 unpeeled garlic cloves and some dried sage. Let it cook slowly in the clay pot, with a cover on. Be patient, let it come up to heat slowly. Cook till they're done, maybe just shy of fully cooked.

Meanwhile, saute an onion and maybe four cloves of garlic for a bit, let the onion get translucent. Salt as you go. Add a diced green pepper, two diced carrots, and 1/2 tblspn cumin, 1 teaspoon paprika and some red pepper flakes. Let this cook for about five minutes more

Add a small can of crushed tomatoes to this sofritto (I always mouli whole tomatoes). Add some dried oregano (1 tsp) and let is simmer.

Add in your peas, let this whole shebang simmer about twenty minutes, don't let it dry out. Make sure at the end of this process the beans are fully cooked, but they never should be falling apart.

Squeeze in a lemon add some parsley and laugh at those losers who open a can of peas and can't understand what all the fuss is about.

ps-this is a greek inspired version. In the American South they swear by their hoppin john, but I like it this way much better. You can substitute any bean, including lima beans for the black eyed peas. If you insist on pork in your beans, saute some chorizo, substitute smoked paprika for the regular, skip the lemon and call it fabada.

Last edited:
Yes, we must have our black-eyed peas for good luck on New Year's Day and greens for money.

I like Texas Caviar. Black eyed peas with diced fresh veggies like peppers, carrots, green onions, celery, cherry tomatoes, and etc. topped with a vinaigrette. For vinaigrette we use olive oil and cider vinegar with salt and black pepper. I add extra fresh cracked black pepper to mine as I like that way.

Oh, I cook fresh black eyed peas firm for above. You can open a can but fresh is better.

I was thinking new year's good luck. I just realized this is in the recipe forum.

Rickbern, I will try your recipe with no clay pot as I don't own one but the recipe looks good. I have never had black eyed peas your way.

I have never cooked hoppin john peas but it also looks good. I grew up eating black eyed peas cooked with a ham bone. It is really good with cornbread.

PS
I was looking at recipes on google for Texas Caviar and we don't usually add black beans or corn but you can. Also, I add diced jalapenos if they are not killer hot. If you want a recipe then this one looks good to me. Texas Caviar (thecomfortofcooking.com)

Last edited:
Yes, we must have our black-eyed peas for good luck on New Year's Day and greens for money.

I like Texas Caviar. Black eyed peas with diced fresh veggies like peppers, carrots, green onions, celery, cherry tomatoes, and etc. topped with a vinaigrette. For vinaigrette we use olive oil and cider vinegar with salt and black pepper. I add extra fresh cracked black pepper to mine as I like that way.

Oh, I cook fresh black eyed peas firm for above. You can open a can but fresh is better.

I was thinking new year's good luck. I just realized this is in the recipe forum.

Rickbern, I will try your recipe with no clay pot as I don't own one but the recipe looks good. I have never had black eyed peas your way.

I have never cooked hoppin john peas but it also looks good. I grew up eating black eyed peas cooked with a ham bone. It is really good with cornbread.

PS
I was looking at recipes on google for Texas Caviar and we don't usually add black beans or corn but you can. Also, I add diced jalapenos if they are not killer hot. If you want a recipe then this one looks good to me. Texas Caviar (thecomfortofcooking.com)
If you can, try to find Rancho Gordo beans. They’re worth seeking out. Link is store locator

https://www.ranchogordo.com/apps/store-locator

I will look but unless they are at Whole Foods I am probably out of luck. There are plenty local black-eyed peas grown around here. They grow really well here. I have fresh garden grown black eyed peas in my freezer that I will use.

They also have frozen black-eyed peas that are better than canned.

I think I am going to try your recipe tomorrow using dried local black-eyed peas.

Rick, I made your recipe and we like it. Very nice and flavorful. I used local black-eyed peas as there were no Rancho Gordo peas within 25 miles. If I go into Austin they will have them. We added parsley and lemon as we ate them. I even found flat leaf parsley.

IMG_0619.jpg

Rick, I made your recipe and we like it. Very nice and flavorful. I used local black-eyed peas as there were no Rancho Gordo peas within 25 miles. If I go into Austin they will have them. We added parsley and lemon as we ate them. I even found flat leaf parsley.

View attachment 158268
Coxhaus, I make it a little saucier. Cooking it 2nd stage in glazed terra cotta. Unglazed bean pot is in the background. These peas were called yellow eyes, one of my favorites
image.jpg

Here is our Texas Caviar for this year after drinking 2 Bloody Marys. I have made better as we were out of cherry tomatoes and green onions. My granddaughter was here so I am going to add jalapenos as I eat it. She does not take hot well. Also, a little lime and cilantro as we go.

For dressing we used olive oil, cider vinegar, Dijon, garlic, salt and pepper. These peas were home grown in my garden and stored in my freezer.

IMG_0625.jpg

Last edited:
Back